Search This Blog

Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Book Whisperer

This summer I read The Book Whisperer, by Donalyn Miller.  The author of the book is from Texas and teaches reading.  It was an amazing read and showed me a new way of teaching my students to love reading.  I can not wait to start the year.
I have been collecting books from garage sales, begging on Facebook (lol), and going to Goodwill every few weeks.  I have managed to stock up quite a few books, but I will be anxious to add more to our class library.
The basic idea of the book is to allow students to pick which books they want to read and have time for them to read everyday.  As their teacher, I will have them fill out a questionnaire to them toward books they will love.  Having book talks and reviews instead of lengthy book reports helps the teachers monitor their reading.  The main reason I started this blog is to allow my students to put book recommendations on here so they can share what books they are enjoying with other students all over the world.  

Donalyn Miller has a blog at http://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com


No comments:

Post a Comment